Monday, September 28, 2009

The Definition of Color

The Definition of Color

The property processed of an object of producing different sensations on the eye as a result of the way the object reflects or emits light. Color, you can hate it, love it, feel it, taste it, or just tolerate it. Defining color doesn’t necessarily mean deciding a person’s ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, or religious beliefs. However, it makes it a whole lot easier to segragate, whites and blacks, native-Americans, Latinos, Asians, homosexuals, Protestants, Catholics, Muslims and Christians.

The segregations within our own religion and ethinicity are at times defined by class, ocupation and of course color. Simply the color of your skin will let you know if your grandmother likes you or not or whether to have expectations of you if any. In Mexican soap-opera the lead roles go to a males or females with light or white skin and colored eyes (light brown, blue, green). The color of your skin also defines whether God loves you more if at all. Remember God doesn’t like ugly. I like believing in the benefit of the doubt, because doubt has really one benefit; the choice to believe.

Reading someone through their skin, doesn’t make you a person who is “people literate.” It makes you ignorant.

At school people attack me with pamphlets, trying to encourage me to join a Chicano club, Be aware, brown pride, Chicano power! The truth is that, they make me feel like another plus to a population doesn’t really care if I share the same ideas, it’s as if all they need is to keep their numbers up. I can claim to be Chicano all by myself, I don’t need a group, support an idea, or agree. I choose not to be Chicano because I have the choice, segregating ourselves doesn’t make us stronger it makes us weaker.

I am a Mexican-American. The Mexican comes first because thats what people see first, I could be any other Latino origin but most choose Mexican (although...they're right), people question my citizenship, my ability to speak English, and my education. There is a dash in between Mexican and American (-), some see it as a divider, I see it as a connection between both of my cultures. My parents see that I'm one, however; I’m both. American comes last because after examining and questioning me, people will figure it out; whether they will accept me is up to them. Whether I want to be accepted is up to me, I don’t want to be where I'm not wanted. I will be where I'm needed.

Music doesn’t define me, it helps me find myself and come at peace with myself.

Color isn’t a factor of definition, to me it’s a circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment